Cork’s English Market is offering local food-based start-up companies the opportunity to trade in Ireland’s oldest and best food market.
The English Market is seeking start-up businesses that will retail products or produce that will complement, rather than duplicate, the market’s current offering. It is particularly keen to hear from new and innovative food producers with a commitment to low ‘food miles’, selling local, seasonal, nutritious and healthy foods.
The start-up stall – recently redesigned and fitted out to the highest standard – is available for short-term letting, the length of which will be agreed with Cork City Council’s Property Section. This is a rare chance for small food businesses to test the market…literally.
Successful applicants will:
- Gain valuable experience of trading in the English Market
- Avail of a recently fitted-out unit, ready to go, avoiding expensive capital investment
- Get to trial products in the English Market, assess demand and gain valuable feedback from customers
- Make valuable connections with, and learn from, other traders, producers and suppliers
- Successful start-ups will also be ideally placed if a stall becomes available on a permanent basis in the future
The culture of the market is such that ‘trading’ takes precedence over production and so all cooking and 90% of the processing / production must be carried out off-site. The vibrancy and life of traders’ interaction with their customers is of prime importance to the English Market. In keeping with this ethos, we are looking for applicants who commit to manning their stall at all times and who can demonstrate a passion for, and knowledge of, their product.
A commitment to a high standard of presentation will be required with regard to produce, display and business. The Start-up Stall is not kitted out for hot food vendors, cafes or delis. If you know of any new, innovative food business start-ups who you feel could benefit from this rare opportunity, please ask them to get in touch.
Application form can be found on www.corkcity.ie or by emailing email@example.com